The Forest

The Forest

The Forest Recreation Ground was part of the 1845 Nottingham Inclosure Act which set aside 80 acres of Sherwood Forest as a recreational amenity for the people of Nottingham. This area was previously known as ‘the Lings’ and formed the southern tip of Sherwood Forest. In the 18th and 19th centuries it was home to horse racing as well as cricket, and in 1865 Nottingham Forest football club practised and played here. In 1928 Goose Fair moved from its location in the Old Market Square to The Forest.